[Dixielandjazz] FW: Musician's Club

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 6 11:00:17 PST 2007

Bob --- Then about that time the young Rock bands started coming in playing
for
> virtually nothing.

Along with a lot of others I might add.  I guess it's justice but they get
it in the neck too since even they have been replaced by DJ's.

It's sort of funny to me but the civilians out there think that the bar
bands are making a killing.  When I tell someone I don't do bars they have
that deer in the headlights look when I tell them you can't make any money
doing that.  I just tell them that the smoke bothers me now.  That's an in
thing.  Bar bands have a certain amount of glamour to many working class
people.  They just don't understand why I might not want to do it but they
understand the smoke issue.

So far as the DJ's are concerned my brother in law hired a DJ for his
wedding reception.  He and his new wife have very high pay jobs.  The DJ got
$500 for not quite 3 hours.  I could have gotten the best Piano - Bass team
in town for that and probably a pretty good trio.  The reception was in one
of the top, most expensive restaurant's in town.  By the time they paid the
tip the cost was well over $100 a plate.  The 15% tip alone (virtually
insisted on by the restaurant) was more than a 3-4 piece band would have
charged.

People, even if they can afford the best just think DJ now.
Larry
St. Louis