[Dixielandjazz] Live vs. Studio

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 6 07:10:27 PST 2007

on 11/6/07 3:04 AM, Stan Brager at sbrager at socal.rr.com wrote:

> It was George Avakian who produced the 1950 series "Buck Clayton Jam
> Session". His vision was to have the best of both worlds with the ambience
> of an audience and the studio environment. Guests were invited to the studio
> as a live audience. The result was, as they say, awesome. I worn out several
> copies of some of the LPs and now have all their recordings on CD and
> treasure them.
>
> My only regret was that they were mildly edited. George, to his credit,
> freely acknowledged this fact and even pointed out the edits in his liner
> notes. Mosaic, to their credit, has released the unedited takes (they may be
> all sold out).
>
> How many listers remember these recordings?

I remember them Stan. Used to own them. Played along with Robbin's Nest,
Undecided, Christopher Columbus, Jumpin At The Woodside, Hucklebuck etc.
Some really fine musicians on those records. Braff, Hawkins, Hinton et al.

Inviting guests to the studio is a great idea. Bill Taggart does that up at
his studio, Fred's Farm, home of http://www.okom.com in his Northern NJ
studio. He just released two fine CDs, (1) with Smith Street JB with Dan
Levinson plus Michel Bastide (visiting from France) and (2) SSJB with Trevor
Rippingale who was visiting from Australia. I sent a copy of each to Bill
Haesler in OZ and maybe he'll review them for us.

I was fortunate enough to record twice with Michel up there a few months ago
in front of an invited audience. I sent copies of each to Bill Haesler in OZ
and maybe he'll review them for us.

Audience in studio IMO is the best of both worlds.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone