[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Mics.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 08:54:58 PST 2007

"Paul Edgerton" <paul.edgerton at gmail.com>

> You are aware that Eddie Daniels is also a serious "legit" clarinetist
> with the ability to control his dynamics down to a whispery-soft
> altissimo, right? He plays the exact opposite type of mouthpiece from
> most jazzers. His is very close, similar to a 5RV, and IIRC correctly
> you play a 5JB. With that much difference, it's almost like a
> different axe! With his mics on the horn, he doesn't to make volume,
> he needs to control it. And he does indeed.

Yes, I am aware. He is a superb player, legit or illegit. <grin> The AMT
system works fine for those using a 5JB or similar also. For those who have
never tried one, when they do, they will hear the difference.

The beauty of the pictures is that they show a beginner exactly where to
place a microphone system in relationship to the axe. Better than trying to
describe it. The only modification one needs is to put a regular mic a
little farther away.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone