[Dixielandjazz] [!! SPAM] Re: FW: Musician's Club

Kay Spencer kay2840 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 23:11:22 PST 2007

Bob,

  Actually a seconday boycott is more like what the UFW attempted to do with Gallo a few decades ago.... boycott grocery stores and restaurants that stocked Gallo products.  It is illegal to promote a boycott against a business that does not directly deal with your union.

  As to crossing picket lines, it very common for unions to respect other unions picket lines.  I actually was assigned to do a one day payroll audit of a cannery in the Calif Central Valley in the '70's.  When I showed up, there was a cannery workers strike that had just started that day.  Not even thinking about it, I crossed the line, went to the office and set about my business.  In the early afternoon a question came up that could only be resolved by a striking employee.  Somehow they smuggled the employee needed in through a back gate to answer my questions.  I finished the audit, went back to my office, and discovered it was against MY company's policy, even though we were non-union, to cross ANY picket line. I didn't get in trouble because the client was happy and there was no adverse publicity.

  As to whether one union respects another union's strike or picket lines, it is pretty much  political and/or how much the respective unions are in competition with one another for the employers' payroll dollars.

  Kay in Gilroy

The last time I heard, it was illegal for other unions to honor the
musician's
picket line. It was called a secondary boycott, or something such as that.
It has been quite a while so I can't remember the details.