[Dixielandjazz] [!! SPAM] Re: FW: Musician's Club

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 5 16:53:15 PST 2007

The background for this is that I am a retired United Airlines pilot, which
is a union position.

As for not seeing the employer's side, it's worse than that around here,
they aren't willing to see to their own long term interest.

I am an AFM member, more to endorse trade unionism than in any real hope of
getting work through the local. I went to another local AFM meeting a few
weeks ago and once again heard the same old complaints: ever fewer venues,
ever lower wages, no respect, how the so-called "jazz" festivals have very
little jazz and little of that little is by local musicians, etc.

I finally couldn't stand it any more and stood up to speak. I pointed to the
sign on the wall and reminded everybody that it reads "UNION," and that that
has meaning. I reminded them that the local could jump through all the hoops
with National to start a job action and throw up a picket line which
Teamsters Union and stage hands' union members shouldn't cross (no
deliveries [no beer at a festival?!?!?!], no stage setups) and so on. So
there is something which could be done to remedy the problems if the
complainers are willing to put out the effort. (I didn't phrase it quite
that way, maybe I should have.)

All I got were blank looks of incomprehension - I could have been speaking
ancient Sumerian as far as they were concerned, so I sat down and everyone
went back to complaining among themselves as if I had never interrupted
them.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.