[Dixielandjazz] FW: Musician's Club

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Nov 5 02:20:05 PST 2007

>So far, not one musician I have talked with about this is willing to try.
They all want to be hired employees of someone else's enterprise,
PHIL WILKING

That is because, Phil, most musicians have spent their whole career doing
just that.  Being on the creative side of things normally doesn't blend well
with the business side.  Few musicians, unfortunately, have both sides.
And, there lies the problem.

>and then to complain about low wages without doing much of anything about
that either.

That is the main occupation of the "employed", and it is very hard for them
to see the "owner's side" of any argument.  Musicians fall into this
category in a big way.

I run my own business along with being a working musician, and will often
offer up arguments to the guys in the band about the problems of the
establishment we are playing in.  My words are normally met with scorn &
misunderstanding.

In my opinion, a co-op of musicians running a club will normally boil down
to the one or two members who have the "business side" within them, and the
rest of the musicians will be the "complainers" & employees, even though all
members in the co-op would be equal.  And, unfortunately, the business of
running the joint will end up on the shoulders of the business orientated
members, and they will end up falling out with the other members.  It's just
natural.

Jim