[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Clubs in New Orleans

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 5 01:13:01 PST 2007

Sorry not to have answered sooner. I have been away.

If you read the listings carefully, you will see that very few of them come
right out and claim to be a traditional full jazz band venue. Most of those
which claim to have jazz are careful to fail to mention that they hire no
larger groups than trios and quartets.

Some of the listings are completely obsolete. For example: Jack Mehue had a
stroke several months ago and no longer plays, but he is still claimed as a
performer in one listing.

Still, one can have a pleasant surprise; I just chanced upon a performance
of the New Leviathan Oriental Foxtrot Orchestra at Snug Harbor one night.

If some of these places particularly interest you, I could go there and
check them out, but I would not trust this list very far.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.