[Dixielandjazz] Mic for a Clarinet

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 20:16:09 PST 2007

On 11/3/07, Steve Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote:
> While I agree with all you say, did you listen to Eddie Daniels on the AMT
> web site? His sound is superb, from a clip on AMT mic less than 6 inches
> above mid point and another 6 inches from the bell.

You are aware that Eddie Daniels is also a serious "legit" clarinetist
with the ability to control his dynamics down to a whispery-soft
altissimo, right? He plays the exact opposite type of mouthpiece from
most jazzers. His is very close, similar to a 5RV, and IIRC correctly
you play a 5JB. With that much difference, it's almost like a
different axe! With his mics on the horn, he doesn't to make volume,
he needs to control it. And he does indeed.

-- Paul Edgerton