[Dixielandjazz] Mic for a Clarinet

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 3 20:01:02 PDT 2007

paul.edgerton at gmail.com wrote

>bulk of the sound pressure level comes from the first open tone hole,
>but different frequency ranges radiate in different directions, so
>close-miking will never provide a balanced pickup. Who listens to a
>clarinet from a point a few inches above the player's left hand? Only
>a microphone -- and the audience, I suppose.

AMT comes the closest to balanced pick-up from 6 inches or less.

>Proximity effect is really a minor factor for the clarinet. A 58 has
>built-in bass roll-off. It's pretty deficient in bass unless it's
>placed closer than six inches. And bottom of the clarinet is about 140
>Hz, so only the lowest few notes are in the range of proximity effect.

>We clarinetists perform on hundreds of stages, and if we get a mic at
>all, it's usually a 58. Most jazzers learn to work with them. We take
>advantage of the fact that our sound changes as we work closer.

While I agree with all you say, did you listen to Eddie Daniels on the AMT
web site? His sound is superb, from a clip on AMT mic less than 6 inches
above mid point and another 6 inches from the bell. If you did not, see:

http://www.appliedmicrophone.com/instruments/profile/Clarinet

Then scroll down to the "listen and watch" area and listen to a couple of
numbers by Daniels. Excellent balance through his broad range, with minimal
roll off. (unless they faked it)

Or click on The Harry Skoler quintet with strings and see him performing.
Don't be fooled by the stage mic. Note carefully the mic attached to his
clarinet. Excellent sound pickup through the horn range.

Then read what a long list of top musicians, including classical clarinet
maven Richard Stoltzman, say about AMTs at:

http://www.appliedmic.com/review.asp

Then surf the site and see the technical details of the 360 degree pick-up
and frequency reproduction/roll off in both one and two mic clip-ons.

I recently performed twice with venue supplied AMT set ups. They outperform
every other mic set up I have ever been around. The difference? Astounding!

If I was a musician in that league, you can bet the farm I would have my own
wireless AMT set up. Or if I was still working a day job, I would spend my
gig money on one.

However, like most journeymen, I take advantage of the usually supplied 58
also, to get that close up sexy sound for the ladies in audience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone