[Dixielandjazz] Playing Live

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 3 15:45:35 PDT 2007

Mike <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com>

> I've always liked live recordings for the simple fact that it
> isn't studio quality. I'll take a good live recording anyday
> over a studio one for the simple fact that it takes more skill
> to play well live. If that makes any sense.

Oh my do I agree. Those who don't agree may have missed the operative word
"well". Here's why I agree.

Studio environment is pretty much a given. Small, air conditioned and
everyone is miked, Musicians are playing in relative comfort.

Live venues have all sorts of variables that adversely affect performance.

1) Heat. If everyone is sweating the instruments are harder to play. E.g. my
hands sweat and I use copious amounts of baby powder to keep them from
slipping off the clarinet keys. Musicians are uncomfortable.

2) Cold. Fingers get stiff etc.

3) Humidity. Wooden Instruments go out of tune with themselves as well as
with the brass. Guitar and Double Bass strings become leaden. "Like pulling
a truck" they say. They are fighting the instruments. Musicians are
uncomfortable

4) Venue size/location. Can be a stadium to a clearing in a park. Musicians
must adjust volumes, articulations, etc. Sometimes must take monitors into
account in order to hear what the band sounds like.

5) Marching environment, Parades on a flatbed,  etc., etc., etc. Might even
have road noise to fight.

Plus a lot more variables. (bugs etc) The musicians have to make adjustments
for some or all of these in order to play well. That's why I agree.

Cheers,
Steve  Barbone