[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Was Louis Armstrong the greatest?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 14:37:12 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2007 23:36
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Was Louis Armstrong the greatest?
To: Robert Smith <robert.smith at tele2.no>

I admire Morton, one of the greatest jazz pianists, but he also
claimed to have invented jazz (I'll concede that, even if he didnt't
sire it, he certainly was there to rock the cradle).  He had no reason
to be jealous of Keppard or Petit, but lots of reasons to be jealous
of Armstrong.
To my ears, Armstrong WAS the greatest (and I'd only venture naming
"the greatest" for two other instruments: the soprano and alto saxes).
Cheers