[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet mics.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 3 08:10:13 PDT 2007

Pam Munter <pam at pammunter.com> asked:

> Anyone have any good ideas about miking the clarinet?  We put a mic in
> front of him, but the sound is so diffuse it doesn't register at the
> same level as my cornet or the rest of the band.

Dear Pam:

Check out the following information and surf the sites. IMO AMTs are the
finest mics available. The website supplies pictures of various choices and
is a primer as to where mics should be placed to capture clarinet sound.
(and others) Best result is two mics if using a regular stand system. One
midway over the top of middle of the instrument, at one down by the bell.

AMT has wireless mics for all instruments.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Finally a microphone that lets the clarinet sound like a clarinet."
Eddie Daniels - Clarinet Virtuoso

If you play the clarinet , you must have this microphone. It's balanced and
lightweight and you sound louder, not "amplified". No more snake charming
the mic on a stand.
Frank Glover - Jazz Clarinet Artist

For the overview on AMT microphones see:
http://www.appliedmic.com/review.asp

For specific clarinet mics, see:
http://www.appliedmicrophone.com/instruments/profile/Clarinet

See the "shure" picture at bottom. This is where a clarinet mic(s) should be
placed to capture all the sound.

If only using one mic on a stand, the mic should be over the middle of the
horn. Then, for notes like middle (C, B, Bb) the player should move the
clarinet so that the bell area is near the mic, per the "snake charming"
quote above by Frank Glover.

Funny as they look, the AMT's are superb.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone