[Dixielandjazz] Mic for a clarinet and Omazing Amazing Omazing Amazing Omazing Amazing Omazing Amazing Omazing Amazi

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 3 06:23:25 PDT 2007

Bob...BOB..BOB RINGWALD....

we get the message!  May I suggest you run a good antivirus program??

Clarinet should be mic'd at the middle joint, NOT by the bell, unless you're using a two mic system.  For most of the notes on a clarinet, more of the characteristic sound comes out the fingerholes than the bell.  That's one reason you're getting the diffused sound.
And, going against what a few here said (in disagreement with me a while back)   do NOT use a vocal mic, such as an SM58.  Vocal mics tend to have a large difference in bass response at various distances from the source, thus most singers tend to "eat" the mic.  The sound is a lot different as a result, when the horn is 6" away or a foot away--not just the level of amplification, but the actual timbre.

my opinion and I'm stickin' with it.

steve "omazing grace" hoog