[Dixielandjazz] The art of recording

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 1 17:37:20 PDT 2007

  Marek Boym wrote:
> I have CL 591.  While I have not checked, I do not remember "Atlanta"
> being spliced.

Dear Marek.
It isn't. That version on CL 591 is the original issued master take,
with the overdubbed trumpet and vocal.
[We hated this in the 50s. I still do.]
The story goes that Barney Bigard, keen to take the usual 3-hour studio
'call' into paid overtime, kept holding back from the mic at the
beginning of Louis' vocal on the first 'takes'. Producer George Avakian
was aware of this, called a halt at the end of the scheduled session
time, then had Louis do the [unnecessary IMO] overdubs later when the
LP was being finalised.
You can hear Barney's late entry on both versions of the issued master
take.
Kind regards,
Bill.