[Dixielandjazz] electronic piano roll

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 1 14:11:59 PDT 2007

ROBERT R. CALDER wrote [in part}:
> this sort of technology was used on Johnny Guarnieri's ECHOES OF
> ELLINGTON album, Guarnieri recording direct on to recording
> electronics within a piano and the recording being played through
> another piano in a venue with choice acoustics.

Dear Robert,
I have that 1984 album by the great Johnny Guarnieri (using the Stahnke
Reproducing Piano) on a 1993 Starline CD [SLCD-9003] which contains the
following information from the executive producer Wayne Knight:
"......in readying this project for reissue on compact disc, I felt
that the music should be re-recorded digitally as the analog tapes
proved too noisy. Hence a new digital recording which I feel Mr
Guarnieri would be equally pleased with......"
So we now have the computer improving on the computer.
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.