[Dixielandjazz] Post production

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Nov 1 09:56:49 PDT 2007

'twas I who hijacked the thread that Bob originally wrote about putting out
a recording of a non-singer having made a hit level recording through
tricks.  My point was to say that those same tricks can be used in a good
way, also, particularly in the hands of a good (or at least interested)
engineer.

Over & over I have stated that the music is always the main concern, but if
one has had no time in a studio, one will not be able to appreciate what can
be done.  And, if it has been done properly you shouldn't actually be able
to put your finger on anything in particular, making it still an even darker
secret!

A live recording doesn't become any less "live" due to post production, and
it is silly to say it does.  A studio recording isn't less if a band happens
to play the whole song again or just punches in a few necessary bars.  One
assumes that that same band can get through the tune in one go in front of
an audience, but the audience is never going to be as critical as the
producer sitting in the control room.

A control room, a good one, will have been actually "tuned"(1) by computers
assuring that no one frequency is going to be lost or stand out.  (1)
Acoustic baffles are used to assure this.  So, the listening environment is
greater than a hall, or a festival tent, or a club.  Nothing gets by, so it
is not strange for someone to wish to repeat "that second bridge, please"
'cause they can hear this or that is leaping out at them.

I will end with what Bob just wrote:  "What we are saying is that with a
little editing, in a studio or live performance, the recording can be
improved".  I would prefer to use the phrase post production, which
encompasses the listening of the finished recording and the follow through
of improving, if possible, upon the recording.  Part of the art of the
recording process, not a dirty word.

Jim
Post Production Engineer
Kash Productions, S.A.