[Dixielandjazz] Turk and Woody

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Thu May 31 15:41:52 PDT 2007

I have a newspaper article written in 1987 by a John S. Wilson just
before Turk's Carnegie Hall Concert with Jim Cullum et al.  In recalling
some of Turk's career highlights, he cites an anecdote that implies that
Turk was instrumental (no pun intended) in encouraging Woody Allen to
play his clarinet in public.  The article section is as follows:
> In the early 1960's, when Woody Allen was a standup comic performing
> at the San Francisco club the Hungry I and a closet clarinetist, he
> would go to Earthquake McGoon's after his shows and stand in the
> doorway, listening to the music but reluctant to go inside. One night,
> Mr. Murphy spotted him and brought him in
> ''After some long, long talks, I got him to bring his clarinet,'' Mr.
> Murphy said. ''It took a little time to get him to go onstage and sit
> in with the band. And then it was another week or so before I could
> get him to stop hiding between the piano and the bass.''
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?  I'm considering
publishing the Wilson article in the Napa Valley Dixieland Jazz Society
newsletter, but don't want to fan the flames of controversy concerning
Woody if the anecdote is not accurate.  I got the article from the
internet, but not sure just where.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA