[Dixielandjazz] Vale John Farrell

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 31 15:23:57 PDT 2007

My dear DJMLer friends,
The extremely sad news, and touching tribute, from John Farrell's grand
daughter advising his death yesterday is a great shock. I am stunned to
think that he has gone.
I was very fortunate to have met John, over several days, on one of his
family visits to Australia. We shared some meals and jazz in Sydney and
became friends.
Over many years, on the DJML and off-line, we strengthened that
friendship.
John said it as it was. Honest and straight from the shoulder, usually
with a keen sense of humour.
His wonderful website, with its 100s of piano 'midis', is a joy to
listen to and a source of great tunes for many people.
As was his fine CD, "The Gods Are In The House" - a recreation of
classic piano recordings.
The title would make a great epitaph for a great man.
I, for one, will miss him dearly.
Kind regards,
Bill.