[Dixielandjazz] Not OKOM?

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Thu May 31 09:47:13 PDT 2007

CLARIFICIATION --
> From: billsharp <sharp-b at clearwire.net>
>
> Quoting Nancy . . .   " .  .  ."How High the Moon" (not OKOM, but very
> nice tune!) taken at the Jubilee during Jonathan's set with Vince
> Bartels', etc..."
> Please explain why Vince Bartels group with the kid violinist is not
> OKOM . .   . . Dang  - - -guess I better drop my DJML membership,
> because I just don't get it, if I think it actually was OKOM.  It sure
> was MKOM . . guess it makes me a loner.  I'll bet there were a  lot of
> OKOMs ( or is it OKOMers?) in the audience.

Hi Bill and list mates,
What I meant was: this particular tune was not Dixieland, which is the OKOM
of this list. Overall, Vince plays swingin' jazz. His two recordings are
excellent, and I heard Eddie Higgins tell Vince that those are some of his
best recordings. Both CDs are available on CD Baby. Find the links at
http://www.vincebartels.com/cd.html
Incidentally, while it was a natural fit for Vince to add a vibes player
like Cocuzzi to his swing band, many thought it was crazy to place Cocuzzi
with trad bands like High Sierra at the Arizona festival. Even HS bandleader
Pieter Meijers wondered how it would go. But it worked out great and Barker
Hickox has the recording to prove it -- "Live in Cactus Country" -- although
the borrowed set of vibes was not the greatest).
Love and hugs,
Nancy