[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 22:21:09 PDT 2007

Fr Mike Logsdon wrote (regarding "Trombone Rag"):

>I bought the Turk Murphy favorites Vols 1 & 2. I really like how he plays
>"Trombone Rag."

If it hasn't already been mentioned I should add that Turk probably plays it
well because he's the one who wrote it.

Jim Maihack (who played with Turk's band for a few years) reports that Turk
got tired of having his recorded trombone solos ripped off by other aspiring
trombone players so he decided to write something that was a bit more
difficult and would not be so casually copied "note for note."

The story may be apochryphal but that's pretty much the way I heard it.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Boondocker" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com