[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy and Trumpet Solos

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed May 30 12:25:49 PDT 2007

Some time ago there was a discussion regarding Turk Murphy and trumpet
solos, or the lack of, here on DJML.  I sent the post to Bob Schulz for his
comments.

In case you do not know, Bob was Turk's last trumpet player, worked with
Turk for about 12 years and IMHO, one of, if not the best!  Bob now leads
his own band, the Frisco Jazz Band.

Below are his comments.

--Bob Ringwald

(snip)
Bob...Wow, I'm really late with this one...As for the DJML, you could just
pass along:

We all had plenty of solos, but they were always at a specific time in each
piece.
On occasion Bob Helm and I would accidentally play our solos in reverse
order, and
that would really get under Turk's skin:-)

As for all the other questions:
I guess I never really noticed if the cornet was subdued or not in the
recordings...It
never was when we were performing live.

As for Turk and having an ego...I never even gave that much thought...I
suppose he
did, but I never really noticed it...It was His Band and he could really do
whatever
he thought was best.  I had no problem with that at all...my job was to do
my job
and be a good sideman and not a shit disturber:-)

That's all I can add to the questions you gave me...Playing with Turk was a
great experience for me in many ways.
I learned more of what to do and not to do while leading a band...I won't go
into
any of that!
(snip)

Bob Ringwald adds:

Maybe Turk had an ego.  Or maybe he just wanted his band to sound the best
that it can.

There are several reasons why certain musicians become band leaders.
Sometimes they are not very good musicians and the only way they can get
work is to form a band and become the leader.

Others become band leaders because they have a sound in mind and feel that
they know how to get it.

Then there are musicians who become band leaders by default . . . . No one
else wants to do it.

I'm sure there are other reasons which some listmates can come up with.

Sometimes a band leader's quest for perfection is mistaken for ego.  What is
wrong with a band leader wanting to have his band be the best, look the best
and conduct themselves like professionals?

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

"The bottom line of any country is, what did we contribute to the world?
We contributed Louis Armstrong." Tony Bennett  --