[Dixielandjazz] Singers

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Wed May 30 02:36:44 PDT 2007

Seems to me, trawling through the mails on the subject that there are two
sorts of singers: those who use a song as a vehicle for their personality
(or sometimes lack of it :-) ) and those who see themselves as a vehicle for
interpreting a song. There's probably room for both but IMO (not humble) the
former who can't even sing in tune aren't doing anyone any favours ... least
of all themselves.... unless it's an occasional novelty number maybe.  Your
lifelong fans might still love you whatever you do but are you attracting
new ones?

As for the moans about "girls" with no talent,  ruining shows... even CDs...
why let them on in the first place?  I've seen so many pretty young things
who can barely hold  a tune come and go frequently on the arm of a much
older , even A list musician.  So to the gentlemen who moan about their gigs
being ruined by inadequate songstresses, maybe you should examine your
motives?

That's all,

Jude

Judy Eames