[Dixielandjazz] Vocalists

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue May 29 14:32:35 PDT 2007

When I was a lot younger we were looking for a singer and we put an ad in
the paper and sent word through a friend who was a secretary at the local
university music dept.

We were deluged with women who wanted to give it a go.  It was a lot like
the tryouts for Idol.  The problems that they had were:

1. no experience singing with a mike.
2. had sung with records
3. never sung with a band
4. couldn't read music
5. didn't bring charts they could do.
6. Didn't know what key they sung in.
7. didn't know any of our tunes
8. bad voice quality
9. couldn't sing in tune.

There were other reasons but most shared many if not all of the problems
above.

Almost all of the wannabees did one or several of the following ---
1. got mad
2. cried
3. wanted another chance
4. told us we had a crappy band
5. thought we were wrong.

The worst one was a gal who had a fair voice and was pleasant to look at but
you could tell she had no experience with a mike and PA system or singing
with a band.  She was one of the music majors from the college.  She was
really bent out of shape when I told her we couldn't use her.  I suggested
that she work with a mike and PA some because that seemed to be a problem.

I tried to help some of them with a few suggestions but that went from bad
to worse so I fell back on the old tried and true - Don't call us we'll call
you. NEXT!

We held auditions for five nights then a young woman walked in and did
everything right and was a looker on top of it.  We used her for about 5 or
6 years until her husband got fired (one of the Regan Air controllers) and
they left the state.  She had her head screwed on right and was very
professional.  She and her husband had to hustle for every dime and they
were very focused on making money.  I love talented people like that.  I
never had to worry if a new tune would be ready or not.  I was in band
leader heaven.

Cattle calls work but you might get anything and I would suggest not doing
it.  Find some other way such as Hey baby I'm a talent scout -------- You
might get lucky or hit in the head.
Larry
St. Louis