[Dixielandjazz] Vocalists

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue May 29 13:46:23 PDT 2007

I record performances fairly often and hand everyone a CD of the tunes.  I
call them the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I'm handing out some CD's tonight for that very purpose.

I picked that up from the AF band.  Every rehearsal was recorded and the
NCOIC would take the recording and listen to it and quite a few mornings
there would be a critique session.  Brutal but it has a purpose.

I tell my students that the only way you can get better is to record
yourself and then listen to it at least 10 times.  You will start hearing
every little problem like intonation or timing and missed notes.  If you can
stand to listen to it that many times and still think it's ok one of two
things has happened.  You have a tin ear or it's pretty good.

Mistakes happen so fast that they can be missed in a live performance but
the recorder misses nothing.

I have two visions of hell.  The first is being a salesman in a guitar /
drum shop and the other is a bartender at a Karaoke bar.
Larry