[Dixielandjazz] Mahalia

Butch Thompson butte1 at mac.com
Mon May 28 13:59:43 PDT 2007

Bob Smith wrote:

> However, what I object to is songs that are directly sleazy. E.g. a certain
> Ms Mahalia Jackson sang a song "Move On Up A Little Higher". Puhleeeeze!

Mahalia Jackson was one of the greatest performers of the 20th century,
often called the world's greatest gospel singer, and for good reason.  There
was nobody like her.  Of all the singers who could be mentioned, she is the
one who absolutely did not ever sing double-entendre lyrics.  You're talking
about gospel music here; a quick Google search will show you the lyrics, not
to mention what Mahalia was all about.

Best regards,

Butch Thompson