[Dixielandjazz] Having just a so-so voice

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Mon May 28 09:18:04 PDT 2007

One of the all-time great so-so voices was Hoagy Carmichael.  It wasn¹t even
clear that he was singing, with that Hoosier nasal thing he had going.  But
oh the man could write music, and the public forgave him and loved his tunes
notwithstanding the voice.  I still love his tunes today, and Star Dust is
only one of many of my Hoagy favorites.  The Nearness Of You can make me
weep: for a modern interpretation that rings my bell every time, seek out
gospel singer Philip Bailey¹s performance of it with pianist Billy Childs
and Roy Hargrove on ³A Pride Of Lions² which came out about 12 years ago.

David Dustin