[Dixielandjazz] Musical ADHD

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun May 27 13:23:33 PDT 2007

Did you read the rest?  Putting a pregnant singer on the stand is - at least
was - tantamount to gigacide.  I wouldn't have believed it but we lost tons
of money over it.  Having once made a mistake I won't repeat it.  I guess
the thing that was the fooler was the amount of really nice attention
everyone paid to her and I didn't think it mattered.  She looked good, it
didn't effect her voice and I liked her.  I thought everything was cool.  I
even thought it might be a good thing.

Many of you are hobby musicians that might make a buck or two playing and
while I'm not getting rich, playing music is all about making money to me in
a way that is also enjoyable.  You may be able to afford to be politically
correct.  If it weren't about making money I would find some nice community
band to play with.  Not that playing with a community band is bad, it's just
not what I am about.  I happen to enjoy music but it has been and is a
source of income and anything that hurts that income is just not in my
vocabulary.  I might have an entirely different view if I were a Bassoon
player or French Horn player or better still, wealthy.  Bill Bay (Mel Bay's
son) used to take issue with me over my money grubbing ways but then again
he was filthy rich and never had to work for a dime.

If I were a major corporation or maybe live somewhere else I could afford to
be more politically correct but when jobs almost dry up for a year  and the
band had to go almost back to square one I take notice.

The band business is one of momentum - them that has jobs gets more.  If you
ever lose that momentum for what ever reason you can take an expensive
beating.  Music is also show biz and when a obviously pregnant gal wins Idol
then we  will all know the public has changed.  Do pregnant gals try out?  I
would bet they do.  Are they accepted?  Probably not.  Imagine the PR fiasco
if Simon trashed a poor pregnant girl about 8 months along.

I wonder if anyone knows what that show's policy is?

If you are someone who plays occasionally or for kicks or for pocket change
these things matter little.  By the same token if your electric bill needs
paying or your kids need something then it means something.

I was politically correct (even by today's standard), I liked the singer, I
saw no problem and the band almost went out of business over it.  If someone
wants to repeat this fiasco, please be my guest.

I was just trying to help people avoid the same mistakes that I have made
over the years.  If you don't think it was a mistake and you personally want
to do something different then go for it.

It's not whether my hands drag the ground, the question is does the paying
public's?  Maybe people have changed in 30 years but I wouldn't bet a dime
on it.
Larry
St. Louis