[Dixielandjazz] Giant Steps & AJB

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Sun May 20 12:46:32 PDT 2007

I did a double-take when I saw Coltrane¹s Giant Steps being discussed in
this forum.  Modern jazz masterpiece it may be, but it is definitely not
MKOM and I cannot begin to imagine how anyone can successfully render it in
an OKOM vein.  Kudos to whoever does it/has done it, but I still would
rather listen to Bill Bailey or Panama, or even Hello Dolley, thank you very
much.

Let me add that the only version of Giant Steps I have ever heard that I can
begin to fathom (and I use that word advisedly) is the one by the New York
Voices on their ³Hearts of Fire² CD (GRP Records, GRD-9653). Perhaps it is
because it is rendered with lyrics and vocalese and because of defective
genes or moral flaws that cause me to love OKOM, I need something other than
Coltrane¹s prodigious torrent of notes to form the song for me.

David Dustin