[Dixielandjazz] 1920s "detritus"

Jeanne Brei TinPanAlleyCat at cox.net
Wed May 16 11:40:45 PDT 2007

Regarding playing the 20's "gems" rather than the "standards", when I first
moved to Vegas, I was asked to perform for the "Brown Bag Cabaret" at Debbie
Reynolds Hotel doing a "New York-style cabaret show". Well, in NYC, a
typical cabaret show is 12 songs, 10 of which are gems and two of which are
slightly obscure standards -- because the audience is a well-informed,
listening audience that primarily listens with their head.
    So, I wrote up a NY-style cabaret show and within the 2-3 songs, I could
feel the Vegas audience's attention drifting - they wanted the STANDARDS
that they know because they listen from their heart and below (the chakras
in use in Vegas tend to be the 2nd, 3rd & 4th). So I turned to my pianist
and said, "Stormy Weather in C and we'll get them back". And we did -- and
we threw out most of the rest of the set and just did songs that they would
all know.
    Fortunately, I was then asked back every couple of months for more shows
and I reversed the NY-style to "Vegas-style cabaret" - 12 songs, 10 of which
everyone knows ALL the words to - and two "gems." And to get them to listen
to the gems, I would create a medley that started with a song they knew
(like "It's Been A Long, Long Time) and then morph into a gem (in this
example, I would go into Mae West's "A Guy What Takes His Time" - with a
one-line transition joke that talked about different definitions of a
Looonnngg time!) And I still couldn't do all four verses of Mae's song --
the audience attention span for a song they didn't know was two verses max.
    Of course, this doesn't hold true at jazz festivals or anywhere where
musicians are the audience -- they're not even listening to the words
either -- they're listening to chord progressions and musical virtuosity.
But I must say, the more 20s & 30s gems that I hear, the more I love them --
may the bottom shelf of musical history rise to live again!
Jeanne Brei

Jeanne Brei
Tin Pan Alley Cat Entertainment
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.jeannebrei.com
NEW! I'm on YouTube! Click here to sing John & I singing!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tinpanalleycat
EVEN NEWER! Check out my BLOG! http://jazzinwithjeanne.blogspot.com
http://www.viewnews.com/2002/VIEW-Jun-28-Fri-2002/Summerlin/19044673.html