[Dixielandjazz] Kids & Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 16 07:02:30 PDT 2007

tcashwigg at aol.com wrote: (2nd of two articles on youth & jazz)

> Even though these articles are now dated they are still very much
> appropriate to the situation at hand across the country, so as many of
> you as can get out and start getting your bands and the music in front
> of those young kids and expose them to it while you still can.  YOu
> will find a very appreciative and engaging enthusiastic audience every
> time.    And take some flyers along with you to send home with them and
> watch them get their parents and grandparents all excited about it and
> you might even get some new members in your local jazz societies at
> least a few at a time.

Thanks for the posts Tom. Bands need to play where the kids are. Since
virtually no one is playing in the elementary schools, I suggest that all
those bands that give the music away, go give it away in schools. You will
accomplish three great things:

1) You won't screw up your local music market for professionals.

2) You'll turn the kids onto jazz.

3) You'll satisfy your psychic need for validation and applause.

But don't do it in Chester County PA. We get paid for those performances in
this territory. But being nice guys, we cut the school system a break and do
it for $70 a man/hour. Paid by the parent's organizations who realize the
value of music as it relates to education in grades 1 to 5.

Pity that the IAJE ignores this most basic musical need.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone