[Dixielandjazz] Slavic Soul Party! -MKOM

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Tue May 15 17:18:08 PDT 2007

Here in the north woods I don¹t get out enough for new music. But on a
musical omnivore friend¹s recommendation I got out to hear a band Saturday
night that I enjoyed tremendously, even though it was far from OKOM.  From
Brooklyn, nine guys with accordion, trumpets, trombones, clarinet,
euphonium, Sousaphone, snare drum and a Balkans style bass drum calling
themselves ŒSlavic Soul Party!¹  (Exclamation point is part of the name.)
Superb musicians all.  Triple-tongued brass-band music from the Balkans,
heavily influenced by Klezmer and Gypsy brass bands of that general region.
They opened for a silken-harmonied Canadian trio called the Wailing Jennys
(often featured on Prairie Home Companion), and I think the Jennys ‹ though
excellent -- probably found Slavic Soul Party an extremely tough act to
follow judging by the wildly enthusiastic response from a bunch of staid
Œswamp Yankees¹ in southern New Hampshire. And it was audience that skewed
toward the upper 50s in age although the performance was on a college
campus.

David Dustin