[Dixielandjazz] The 'not so authentic' 20s music

Steven V. Apple appledrums at gmail.com
Tue May 15 09:51:26 PDT 2007

 I'm going to agree with Bob on this one.  Unless someone is specifically
working on a project demanding tunes actually written during a particular
period, nothing wrong with playing tunes written in the 30's or 40's in a
"20's style".  There's a place for educating people, and there's a place for
just playing good sounding music.  Lots of contemporary musicians are
writing, arranging, and performing their own tunes, in a 20's or 30's
style.  We (Royal Society Jazz Orchestra) just put out our latest CD, all
tunes written and arranged by Don Neely.  We play them in 20's, 30, (maybe a
little 40's) style, and get no complaints about them not being "authentic."
It's just as important to preserve the "style" as it is to preserve the
actual tunes of an era.

Certainly there are times when totally authentic music, costumes,
instruments, etc are called for (and even in these cased many of the items
will be "re-productions"), but in this case the request was "

*I would like ideas of songs/tunes to play at a local restaurant
*>>* called 'Al
*>>* Capone's' for a gangsters & moll night.

*Bob's advice that the "style" was more important the the date a tune
was written was appropriate to the situation.
It's okay to wear a suit that looks like it was made in the 20's, and
it's okay to play a tune that sounds like it was written in the 20's.
Relax and enjoy the music, that's what it's for.

 - Steve Apple