[Dixielandjazz] The 'not so authentic' 20s music

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon May 14 22:05:11 PDT 2007

ALOHArose at aol.com wrote:

 In a message dated 5/14/07 10:46:04 AM,Bob Ringwald writes:

> It has been so many years since the "Roaring 20s" that none of the songs
> have to be authentic 1920. They just have to sound like they are.
>
> --Bob Ringwald
(snip)

YOU CANT MEAN THAT!!!   What a specious assessment/dumbed down idea. Your
comment provides only a hairbreath distinction between authentic and 'sounds
like'.
(snip)

Dear Rose? (I am guessing that your name is Rose?  You did not sign your
post to
DJML).

Regarding my statement above.I was responding to the gentleman in New
Zeeland
who asked for (as I
remember) 1920 gangster tunes.  I have been a professional musician for 50
years.  If I were going to play
for a 1920s style gangster party, I gave him the advice that I would use
myself.  When you are playing these kinds of parties, it is only important
that you provide the atmosphere that the client wants.  He is usually not
interested in songs such as "Skip The Gutter" or "2 Duces."  he/she wants to
hear songs such as Bill Baily, Tiger Rag, etc. . . . Songs that he/she
recognizes, and that give the idea of a 1920 sound.  .

If in this case it is a gangster party, he/she wants to hear songs that
remind the party goers of the gangsters in Chicago, etc.

You say:

(snip)
you want to bring the kids to this?
(snip)

I don't remember anything about kids in his request.  Did I miss something?

 I understood it to be some sort of theme party.

If there were kids involved, I'd do the same thing.  Unless it was an
instructional concert.  Then of course I would be authentic and talk about
the history of Jazz and the players.  But I did not understand his request
to say anything about kids.

Unfortunately, I have deleted his original message so I cannot re-read it to
see if I missed something about kids.

You also wrote:

(snip)
And this from the guy who is so meticulous about subject lines!
(snip)

When you posted a message with a subject line that did not reflect the
subject of the text, I wrote a very polite note reminding you to put a
correct subject line on your posts to DJML.  I did this privately and
politely, not like your very public post back to me.

We have over 550 members on DJML.  Most of who never post to the List.
However, they do read the posts.  The overwhelming majority of them want
correct subjects on the messages .

A lot of people are very busy and just skim the subject lines -- Especially
the ones who get the digest format.  If the subject line is incorrect, or
nonexistent, then it wastes people's time opening a message that they do not
want to read.  Or, they miss a message that they do want to read.

It is just plain courtesy to title your posts with the correct subject line.
I am surprised that you used that private request to flame me publicly.

Courtesy is like opening the door for someone or picking up something that
someone
dropped, and handing it to them.

On the Internet, it is called "Netiquette.

The following is from the DJML FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) at

http://www.islandnet.com/djml/faq.html

(snip)
25.  What is "Netiquette?"

"Netiquette" is etiquette on the Internet including electronic mail.  It
is nothing more than simple common courtesy, common sense and consideration
for others.
(snip)

Best Wishes,

--Bob Ringwald