[Dixielandjazz] Digest, Vol 53, Issue 25/ The 'not so authentic' 20s music

ALOHArose at aol.com ALOHArose at aol.com
Mon May 14 13:53:00 PDT 2007

In a message dated 5/14/07 10:46:04 AM,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> It has been so many years since the "Roaring 20s" that none of the songs
> have to be authentic 1920.  They just have to sound like they are.
>
> --Bob Ringwald

YOU CANT MEAN THAT!!!   What a specious assessment/dumbed down idea. Your
comment provides only a hairbreath distinction between authentic and 'sounds
like'. And this from the guy who is so meticulous about subject lines!   And you
want to bring the kids to this?
No wonder kids dont wanna hear what came before their own entry into the
world. Why bother?
Like "everyone knows"...<<things dont need to be real to be authentic? >>
It is sad to see the corruption of language now metasticizing into the music.

Similar to the Bush 'Blue Skies' Initiative that ISN'T, maybe we should start
using the word 'authentic' when we really mean bogus.   We could stablish a
new standard for 'authentic' and abolish the precision of that wonderful word,
so we never have to think about it again.    ~Just   mnsho about a word that
should mean something.   Perhaps i'm overreacting...but for good reason: as a
true *female*, words and even lyrics are important to me!   I read it in DLJML.
ALOHA!
PS <<it has been so many years>> since WWII, but the Nazi's still lost the
war.