[Dixielandjazz] gangster songs/tunes

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 10:18:01 PDT 2007

I remember Capone's Chicago Tea Room in Sacramento.  It was on Fulton Avenue
and it's where Ringwald's band "Fulton Street Jazz Band" got its name.

I also worked there for a while with Bob and remember it well.  When they
first opened, the door was built to look like a telephone booth and when you
stepped into it the back wall of the telephone booth would open into the
joint. It had great ambiance!

That just reminded me that in Budapest (the on in Hungary) there is a night
club called "Alcatraz" and all the employees dress up in prison garb and
when you sit at one of the long tables there is a screen running down the
middle with openings in it where you could talk to people across the table.
Sort of like "visitors day" at the prison.

They of course had a jazz band for entertainment and when I was there the
place was packed. Especially with youngsters who absolutely loved to do
swing dancing.

Cheers,

Bill "I'm innocent!" Gunter