[Dixielandjazz] gangster songs/tunes

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Fri May 11 21:25:28 PDT 2007

Also, Buddy Bolden's Blues ...I thought I heard Judge Fogarty Say, 30 days
in the market take him away...

And there is the Ellington piece, Big House Blues.
I'm pretty sure Bessie Smith sang a couple or so blues tunes with jail
themes.

Mr. Johnson is quite early and pleasant.  Oh, Mister Johnson turn me loose.
Don't put me in the calaboose. Oh, Mr. Johnson, I'll be good.  Etc.

The Prisoner's Song, of course.  Now if I had the wings of an angel, over
these prison walls, I would fly. I'd fly to the arms of my poor darlin' and
then I'd be willing to die.

Hope this helps.

Ron L