[Dixielandjazz] Another Gangster Tune--Sorta

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 13 21:19:36 PDT 2007

> I'm amazed that I appear to be the only one on this list that knows
> about
> Peetie Wheatstraw's " Gangster's Blues" recorded in NYC  Aug. 28th
> 1940.

Dear Glen,
I do.
But have you played it? I just did.
It's another variation on the familiar, repetitive, 1930s urban blues
theme and only mildly significant for its lyrics.
I doubt that it would have an impact at a "Gangsters & Molls' function.
Not a tune I would want our band to bother with either.
However, it does have a strong jazz connection.
Lil Hardin Armstrong is the fine pianist (she was a Decca 'houseman' at
the time) along with the great Jonah Jones on trumpet and Big Sid
Catlett on drums.
Very kind regards,
Bill.