[Dixielandjazz] Additional Important Info Regarding Banjos

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun May 13 11:20:25 PDT 2007

To my pickin' and grinnin' listmates,

Another comment on the use of capos in playing stringed instruments.

The following chords, when play on an "un-capo'd" guitar (A, C, D, E, G and
a few variants - 7's, minors, etc) have a number of open strings (strings
which are not stopped by flabby fingers on the fingerboard).  This "open
string configuration" makes for a rich ringing sound when the chord is
struck.

Chords which have all six strings stopped (F, F#, G#, A#, Bb, B, C# D# and
so on) don't ring as much due to the damping effect of all that skin on the
fingerboard.

This damping effect is great when one wants guitar chords to be 'choppy'
(whatever that means) but folk singers who want them thangs to really twang
and ring tend to prefer the open string configuration.

If a folk singer wants to change a key and still keep that "open string
ring" going, he/she will use a capo.  By the way, the main reason a folk
singer would want to change keys is to make sure the range of the song is
compatible with his vocal range.

If you didn't understand any of the above, don't worry, I'm also guilty of
not understanding a lot of things myself.  And I'm sure I'll hear from some
who'll want to question some of the points I tried to make above.

Cheers,

Bill "Haul it out and twang it!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com