[Dixielandjazz] Fights at concerts

Shortuba at aol.com Shortuba at aol.com
Sat May 12 07:59:16 PDT 2007

Hello all -

The story goes that Monteux felt so threatened by the fight at the premiere
of "Rite of Spring" that he had to escape through the window in the bathroom.
When asked about that story, Stravinsky said "That story gets better every
time Monteux tells it."

REQUIRED OKOM CONTENT:

When I was with the West End Jazz Band in Chicago in the 70s and 80s, every
time we played "San", a fight would break out in the bar area.  Never could
figure out why, unless they were arguing about the chords.  Then when we went to
Paris in February of 1983, Frenchmen kept coming up and asking us to play
"San".  We'd play it, and they'd walk away with a strange look on their faces.
Someone finally reminded us that "San" is French for "Saint" - they wanted "When
the Saints Go Marching In"!!  We were mortified in at least two different
ways.  We, of course, blame it on the French.  After all, who doesn't?

Mike Short
Party Gras Classic Jazz Band
Ballyhoo Foxtrot Orchestra
Des Moines IA