[Dixielandjazz] message for Ben Windham

Suzy flafolkus at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 3 09:33:12 PDT 2007

 Hi Ben,

I am Don Barber, former radio and TV man in Atlanta and Miami. I've just completed my autobiography and one of my stories mentions my relationship with Preacher Rollo, Tony Parenti, and Joe Venuti. I lived in Miami and was on TV there from 1950-1963, and we were all friends. I had met Tony in New Orleans after the War, and when he moved to Miami to work with Preacher Rollo, we all got together frequently. Tony would come out to our house in North Miami and cook Italian food for us. It was great!  In 1958 I visited New York and Tony had moved there, and he introduced me to Joe Venuti. We all went to Tony's house where once again he whipped up a marvelous dinner for us. Later I moved to Atlanta and was on the air there until 1975, then returned to Miami in 1976. "Preach" had by then married a mail-order bride from Korea, named Suc-So. She was probably a sweet lady but couldn't understand a word of English. We had them to our house for dinner and I'm sure she felt awkward. Apparently he could make her understand enough---
Another dear friend was Ginny Roble, whose brother, Bill Reinhardt, owned a jazz club in Chicago. Ginny died about 1981 and Bill stayed at our house. Ginny's memorial service included Preacher's recordings, at her request. Bill's wife was Japanese, but she did not attend the memorial. Another lady mistook Suc-So for Ruth  Reinhardt, and began talking to her non-stop. All Suc-So did was bow and smile.
When Tony was dying in Metairie, LA., he is said to have asked his wife, Ethel, "Does Don Barber know?" I was always so flattered that he would think of me at such a time. He was a great player and a dear friend. I lost touch with Rollo over the years. I have some early recordings which I still play and treasure. Glad to know I am not alone! I will be 87 in June.

Don Barber
flafolkus at cfl.rr.com