[Dixielandjazz] Struttin With Some Barbecue

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 8 10:51:41 PDT 2007

on 5/8/07 12:37 PM, Stan Brager at sbrager at socal.rr.com wrote:

> Steve;
>
> Begreen's book quotes a musician talking about how Lil would transcribe
> Louis' playing. This is much the same way Bill Challis would write down
> Bix's improvisations to score for the trumpet section. However, Begreen goes
> further and insinuates that the mere act of transcribing caused Lil to get
> "the impression that she was not just Louis's transcriber but also his
> collaborator."

Hi Stan;

True, Bergreen does that. He may be right, he may be wrong. he has been
wrong on other things about Louis.

> Steve, since Lil did not claim to be the co-composer of all of Louis' tunes
> which she transcribed, why can't you give her the benefit of the doubt about
> those tunes which she did claim to be Louis' collaborator?

Yes, I do give both she and Louis the benefit of the doubt. I never varied
from my position that there was a debate about who wrote "Struttin". I don't
know whether she or Louis wrote it. I only asked whether or not the debate
had been settled.

She helped Louis to become what he became.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone