[Dixielandjazz] Struttin With Some Barbecue

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Tue May 8 09:37:45 PDT 2007

Steve;

Begreen's book quotes a musician talking about how Lil would transcribe
Louis' playing. This is much the same way Bill Challis would write down
Bix's improvisations to score for the trumpet section. However, Begreen goes
further and insinuates that the mere act of transcribing caused Lil to get
"the impression that she was not just Louis's transcriber but also his
collaborator."

Steve, since Lil did not claim to be the co-composer of all of Louis' tunes
which she transcribed, why can't you give her the benefit of the doubt about
those tunes which she did claim to be Louis' collaborator?

Stan