[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in other cities

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Tue May 8 08:14:44 PDT 2007

Dear Kay (from another member of the clan Spencer!)

Something I write for a book yet to be completed.

Considering its migratory history, it is natural to consider jazz from a
geographical standpoint. A pioneer narrative work is Jazz City. The Impact
of Our Cities on the Development of Jazz (Leroy Ostransky, Prentice Hall,
1978) which discloses the evolution of jazz in New Orleans, Chicago, Kansas
City, and New York. In addition, these regional, narrative jazz volumes have
been published: Swing City. Newark Night Life 1925-1950 (Barbara J. Kukla,
Temple University Press, 1991); Cleveland Jazz History (Joe Mossbrook,
Northeast Ohio Jazz Society, 2003); An Autobiography of Black Jazz [Chicago]
(J. Travis Dempsey, Urban Research Institute,1983); Chicago Jazz, A Cultural
History. 1904-1930 (William Howland Kenney, Oxford University Press,1994);
That Toddlin' Town: Chicago's White Dance Bands and Orchestras, 1900-1950
(Charles A. Sengstock, Jr., University of Illinois Press, 2004); The Velvet
Lounge: On Late Chicago Jazz (Gerald Majer, Columbia University Press, 2005;
Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-1960 (Lars Bjorn and Jim
Allert,University of Michigan Press, 2001);The Jazz State of Indiana (Duncan
Schiedt, reprinted by Indiana Historical Society, 1999); Sites and Sounds of
Savannah Jazz (Jukius Hornstein, Gaston Street Press, 1994); West Coast
Jazz. Modern Jazz in California. 1945-1960 (Ted Gioia, University of
California Press, 1998); Central Avenue Sounds. Jazz in Los Angeles (Clora
Bryant et al, ed, University of California Press,1999); The Dark Tree: Jazz
and the Community Arts in Los Angeles (Steve Isoardi, University of
California Press, 2006); Jazz on the Barbary Coast (Tom Stoddard, reprinted
by Heyday Press,1998); Emperor Norton's Hunch (John Buchanan, Hambledon
Productions, 1996); Harlem of the West. Fillmore Jazz Era (Elizabeth Pepin
and Lewis Watts, Chronicle Books,2006) [all three San Francisco];. Jump
Town: The Golden Years of Portland Jazz. 1942-1957 (Robert Dietsche, Oregon
State University Press, 2005); Jackson Street After Hours. The Roots of Jazz
in Seattle (Paul de Barros and Paul De Barros, Sasquatch Books, 1993);Texan
Jazz (Dave Oliphant, University of Texas Press, 1996); Singing Cowboys and
all That Jazz. A Short History of Popular Music in Oklahoma (William W.
Savage, Jr., University of Oklahoma Press,1983); The Jazz of The Southwest.
An Oral History of Western Swing (Jean A. Boyd, University of Texas Press,
1998).

Cheers. Fred