[Dixielandjazz] Sister Kate

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 8 02:47:09 PDT 2007

On Monday, May 7, 2007, at 05:15  PM, confit at isp.com wrote:

> According to the ASCAP webpage, Armand Piron is the composer of "I
> Wish I
> Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate." The story I recall is that Armstrong
> sold the tune to him for $25 (and wasn't paid), although the original
> was
> something like "Why Don't You Keep of Katie's Head." Kid Ory recorded
> the
> tune as such.
> Sister Kate was published by Clarence Williams music in 1921.

Dear Chris,
In Laurence Bergreen's 'Louis Armstrong An Extravagant Life' (page 129)
Clarence Williams is named (confirming my recollection of the original
article) as the person who allegedly copied the tune and bought it from
Louis for $25, but never paid him.
It eventually appeared as "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate"
copyrighted by Armond J Piron (28 Aug 1919) who was Clarence Williams'
partner in the early New Orleans music publishing firm, Williams &
Piron (1916-1922).
The Kid Ory band recording, "Keep Off Katie's Head" you mention was
made for Verve on 19 July 1959 featuring trumpeter Henry Allen with a
vocal by Ory ["......Keep off Katie's head, get outa Katie's bed."].
Kid Ory was given composer credit by Verve!
The Ory Verve sessions were reissued on CD by Mosaic.
Kind regards,
Bill.