[Dixielandjazz] Struttin With Some Barbecue

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 7 13:04:12 PDT 2007

Hi Stan:

I didn't suggest she was "devious" and/or "dishonest". I suggested that she
might have embellished just as almost everyone writing and/or copyrighting
music was in those days. (just as Louis did)

Lillian was certainly a nice lady from the dealings that all of us
(including me) who met or talked with her can attest.

However, none of us was there in the 1920s when she was married to Louis.
None of us can attest to how that marriage, or their personal relationship
developed over the years. Other then that the bloom was off the rose within
a few years.

There was a genuine dispute between Louis and Lillian as to who wrote
"Struttin With Some Barbecue". That's a fact. Both remember the details
differently. Which is a frequent occurrence throughout History.

Lillian was an educated woman. She knew what she wanted in life and she got
most of it, in a man's world. (A white man's world at that). She deserves an
enormous amount of credit for that.

Reading the history of their relationship leaves a lot of gaps. Even Louis's
own accounts of it change from writing to writing.

Lets face it, she was divorced when she met Louis. She knew how to do it and
she helped Louis get his divorce. She then helped Louis go to NYC with
Henderson, but did not accompany him. There is speculation from many writers
that she had her own outside relationships as her marriage with Louis
deteriorated. Yet she would not grant him a divorce until the late 1930s,
some 10 years later.

I don't know why, I don't care why. I liked Lillian when I met her. Be that
as it may, she was not a sheltered girl and since "borrowing", or listing
yourself as co-composer of tunes was common back then, she may well have
gone with the flow of how things were done. I don't see that as devious or
dishonest, I see it as just historical happenings.

And my suggestion that as the writer of music while Louis was playing it,
comes from written record, (which I posted previously) and that she may well
have considered herself a co-composer because of it. Just because someone
wrote that certainly doesn't make it true and I leave that up to others to
decide. I was just the messenger.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone