[Dixielandjazz] John R. T. Davis "Jazz Classics Vol 1"

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat May 5 14:14:35 PDT 2007

Details?
Weel, not really.  You get a track listing, with the possibility to
listen to each number (I do not know whether in full or excerots -
haven't tied), but neither poronnels nor dates.  And three out of the
four artists listed - Prima, Lewis and Venuti - did record some pretty
awful stuff, in addition to some absolute jazz classics (especially
Venuti).
Wettling did not record all that much under his own name, so the same
tracks get repeated on numerous CDs, and are very likely to clash with
CDs we have.  On the other hand, Davis' remastering WAS the state of
the art - he was the very best.
Cheers