[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Fest

loerchen2 at aol.com loerchen2 at aol.com
Thu May 3 12:54:35 PDT 2007

Steve has a point.  Maybe blacks in other places aren't as keen on OKOM, but here in New Orleans, it is still part of their heritage and culture.  Their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all played and sang jazz, blues, gospel -- everybody grew up with this kind of music, and every black musician I know has an older relative who was a notable musician.  And everybody still listens to it.  We have performances where the ages range from toddlers to people in their 80s (or 90s, if you count trumpeter Lionel Ferbos).

And people here DANCE to the music, which as Steve has pointed out before, is one of the main ways to connect young people.  You can always pick out the locals from the tourists at any live music venue, because they're the ones dancing -- even if there's only a 2' square space.

I hate going to festivals where everyone sits in their chairs; give me a dance floor any time!

Sue