[Dixielandjazz] American Cancer Society Gigs - Tom Wiggins

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 3 08:05:50 PDT 2007

Hey Tom, way to go.

We've done several gigs for the American Cancer Society over the past years
and are doing a "Relay For Life" concert the end of this month. All have
been paid gigs. We do cut them a break, but still get $100 to $200 per side
man depending upon how many hours and how close to home.

Same for the American Red Cross, Senior Citizen Volunteer recognition
lunches and many other "Charitable Organization" gigs.

At most of them, they spend a fair amount of money recognizing their
volunteers. Food, Refreshments, and Entertainment.

Most recent gig a few weeks ago was for a "Senior Citizen" volunteer
organization. A "thank you" event for those who deliver meals, make in home
visits, etc. Lunch gig that I recently described at the Drexelbrook Club.

We had been doing the gig for several years and then, last year, lost it to
a band of amateurs who gave the music away. Got it back this year because
the music last year sucked. Their paid entertainment this year was music and
then a magician. Cost them about $1200 but the executive director said it
was well worth it because the entertainment was so much better this year
than the freebie last year. The lunch and the venue probably cost them $50 a
person and there were 250 people attending.

Sure, they try to get the entertainment donated but learn their lesson when
the get inferior entertainment. Playing free gigs devalues the music.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone