[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Newsom RIP

Ron Wheeler ronald_wheeler at bellsouth.net
Tue May 1 05:14:27 PDT 2007

Tommy's 'Mr. Bland' image was the perfect foil for wise-cracking Johnny and
the flamboyant Doc Severinson.

Fans of the Big Band sound [count me in!] can download the entire Airmen of
Note collection, thirty-nine albums covering a 47-year period, on free
MP3's, from http://www.rewindplay.com/airmenofnote/sounds/sounds.htm.  The
free versions are at a good-quality 24 kb/sec level and for a $20
contribution, you can download the whole shebang at CD-quality (192~320
kb/sec).

The recordings go back to Tommy's days with the 'Note' and feature him as a
returning guest artist on a couple other albums.  Other albums feature guest
artists such as Sarah Vaughn, Joe Williams, Carmen McRae, George Shearing,
etc.

Best to all,

Ron Wheeler