[Dixielandjazz] Why play with Mingus?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 30 14:54:21 PDT 2007

Mike <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com> wrote (polite snip)

> I've heard that it wasn't hard to set Mingus off. I can't understand how
> people were able to work with him.

He was a musical genius. Those who like his style and music were eager to
work with him. Perhaps like Benny Goodman in that respect. In spite of his
demanding personality, guys stood in line to work with both.

To this day there are several bands devoted to playing the songs Mingus
wrote. Like Mingus Dynasty in Europe and The Mingus Big Band in the USA
which plays every Tuesday at the iridium in NYC. etc.

The musicians who play it are heavy hitters and very devoted to his memory
and to the exacting charts he wrote. While with Tom Wiggan's band in Israel,
I got the chance to meet and jam with some of the Dynasty players. On
Russian and one US expatriate now living in Paris. Neat guys, great players.

Did you ever see the TV short where he was interviewed at his house? In the
middle of it, he grabbed a gun and fired two shots into the ceiling just for
the hell of it. Not unlike some of the early New Orleans Jazz musicians who
carried weapons. Now that's a reality show. It may be available on DVD.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone